Re: [APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 14, Issue 2

"S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com> wrote:

> I was thinking of the test kits you can by where you
> titrate a solution, counting the drops, and watch for a
> color change.
>
> These are affected by a number of things and are based on a
> pH reaction (I'm sure I'm saying this the wsrong way). But
> time alone seems to goof them up. When they are brand new,
> they are probably okay if there isn't much affecting your
> pH beside CO2.

Ah, I've never used one of those CO2 tests. I just measure pH
(with a probe, so it's fairly accurate, maybe +-0.05 degrees, and I
measure KH, which I can also do quite accurately. (Doubling
the amount of water doubles the number of drops needed
for the reaction, so accuracy is about +-0.5 degrees.)
A KH/pH/CO2 chart then tells me the rest.

I keep the permanent CO2 indicator in the tank mainly to alert
me if something goes grossly wrong, such as way too
much or way too little CO2.

Cheers,

Michi.

--
Michi Henning              Ph: +61 4 1118-2700
ZeroC, Inc.                http://www.zeroc.com