Re: [APD] Re:Re: Minimum Light Threshold..

Fwiw, I'm running 7 watts fluorescent a few inches above  a
3/4 gallon tank and the tank does not behave like it has 9+
wpg. A good portion of the light shines past the tank and,
I suspect, less in reflected back to the plants than in a
larger aquarium.

Scott H.
--- Robert H <robertph3 at comcast_net> wrote:

> We mostly
> > agree that 4 wpg on a larger tank is a lot of light.
> But
> > if you take a
> > gallon of water and a 4 watt light you can't grow
> plants.
> >  Why not?  You
> > have 4 wpg.  True, but you have not met the MLT for the
> > plants.  I see it
> > all the time in my terrestrial garden.
>
> Your example fails here and in the other forum because
> you seem to think the
> watts per gallon rule applies to incadescent light bulbs.
> I presume you are
> not talking about a four watt flourescent. A flourescent
> light is several
> times more intense than an incadescent.  That is why a 13
> watt screw in PC
> takes the place of a 75 watt incadescent.  2 to 3 watts
> of flourescent light
> per gallon of water over a ten gallon tank is more than
> enough to grow just
> about anything.  A ten gallon tank is very shallow.
> Explain to me why a ten
> gallon tank  would need more intensive light than a 20
> gallon tall tank.
> Please.
>
> Robert Hudson
> www.aquabotanic.com
> 90 day guarantee on plants!!

=====
Still some time left to get the 65% discount hotel rate.

The Annual AGA Convention, 2004, November 12-14.
aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org

Speakers, 3 Focus Groups in two sessions each, plus Field Trip, Banquet, auctions of equipment and plants from some of the best companies, gardeners & nurseries in the hobby.