Re: [APD] Micron filtration and nutrients

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 14:02:01 -0400, Sean Kettle <kettles at videotron_ca> wrote:

I have a HOT Magnum that I like to put on the tank once a week to polish the
water.

Which elements, if any, will be stripped from the water column from a micron
filter. I believe Marineland says the filter is good for particles down to
4 microns.

Would any of the macro nutrients be removed? What about traces?

Just curious... Otherwise I'd run the micron all the time as a secondary for
some additional movement in my 75 gallon.

Atoms are way, way, way, way smaller than 4 microns. If your filter could get anything like the size of elements, it would be filtering out the water molecules as well... i.e. it wouldn't let the water through (this technique is regularly exploited in many household objects, such as kettles, saucepans and cups!)
Most of the macro nutrient, such as NO3, PO4, CO2 etc are simple, small molecules, and are (at a very rough guess) at least 10,000 times smaller than 4 microns?
It's not going to remove anything that is dissolved.

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk

This email was scanned carefully before transmission to remove any content, information or relevance.