Re: [APD] RE: copper safe and fish medicines

Formaldehyde naturally, is a gas. The liquid some folks
think of as formaldehyde is a mixture of formaldehyde gas
in water water, commonly 37% solution. Formaldehyde
solution will polymerize so 10-15% methyl alchohol is added
to prevent polymerization. That combo, formaldehayde, water
and methyl alchohol is formalin.

A mixture with formalin added has a much smaller percentage
of formaldehyde in it. I think it works out that 10%
formalin solution is only 4% formaldehyde.

sh
--- Pete <peteal at sympatico_ca> wrote:

> Talking about how certain medicines are hard on fish,
> some of these sound
> down right nasty, maybe even to us.
>
> http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/malachite.htm
>
> All if it is a good read, but some of the scary stuff.
>
> - Wear gloves and goggles when handling malachite green
> or formalin. Do not
> inhale the fumes of formalin and always handle in a
> well-ventilated area.
> Both are potentially dangerous. Malachite is a
> respiratory poison as well as
> being a suspected carcinogen.
>
> - It is likely that malachite green will be banned in the
> near future
>
> - Formalin should be stored in the dark and above 40C to
> prevent the
> formation of paraformaldehyde

=====
Plant your feet in Washington, D.C. and touch the moon -- at the National Air & Space Museum.
And learn the art of aquascaping Senske style at AGA2K4.

Speakers, field trip, Ray "Kingfish" Lucas, and more. . .
The Annual AGA Convention, 2004, November 12-14.

Convention Details/Registration at aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org