Re: [APD] Submerged light.

I think this would be a generally unwise set up.

If the bulbs are fluorescents and submerged, they will be
operating at substantially below the deisgn operating
temperature for the bulb. It's not that the water is so
much cooler than the room air temp -- in fact, it's
probably warmer -- but the water will conduct heat away
from the lamp much more effectively than the air. So you
will probably cause more dimming of the bulb output (due to
reduced bulb operating tmep) than what you might gain in
effective illumination (by having the bulb closer to the
plants). Also, all of the heat output of the bulb will go
directly into the aquarium water, which might cause
excessive water temp problems.

I don't even want to think about what might happen if a MH
halide was opearted submerged.

--- Phillip Grobler <pfgrobler at hotmail_com> wrote:

> . . . I'm
> wondering. The
> distance between the bulb and the water surface seems to
> have a reletavily
> large effect an the ammount of light that actualy reached
> the bottom of the
> tank. Whould it not make sence to place the tubes them
> selfs under the
> water surface ?
>
> If you use CF's or PC's it should be fairly simple
> process to get a water tight
> seal arround the electrical connections.
>
> On my own tank has a glass lid that is actualy still part
> of the main tank so
> it whould be very easy to flood the lid and have the
> tubes submerged. I
> realise that heat from the bulbs might then become a
> problem.

=====
Plant your feet in Washington, D.C. and touch the moon -- at the National Air & Space Museum.
And learn the art of aquascaping Senske style at AGA2K4.

Speakers, field trip, Ray "Kingfish" Lucas, and more. . .
The Annual AGA Convention, 2004, November 12-14.

Convention Details/Registration at aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org