Re: [APD] Re: Best glass for replacement lid

Thickness hasn't anything to do with being tempered. Glass
tempering is a heat/fast-cool treatment that makes glass
harder to crack, and when it does, it shatters mercilessly.
It's also more easily broken if scratched. Great for
automobile windshields where large shard could be deadly,
butnot ideal for aquarium use.

I'd be surprised if tempered glass was used. I would expect
it only if it was somehow cheaper than nontempered glass,
but I don't see how it would be.

Scott H.
--- Andrew McLeod <thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk>
wrote:

> I thought all small tanks used tempered glass? I have a
> 6g that I think
> has 4mm glass, and larger (though not large) 24" and 36"
> tanks with 6mm
> glass. Isn't that tempered, or am I confused??
>
> --
> Andrew McLeod
> thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk
>
> This email was scanned carefully before transmission to
> remove any
> content, information or relevance.

=====
Plant your feet in Washington, D.C. and touch the moon -- at the National Air & Space Museum.
And learn the art of aquascaping Senske style at AGA2K4.

Speakers, field trip, Ray "Kingfish" Lucas, and more. . .
The Annual AGA Convention, 2004, November 12-14.

Convention Details/Registration at aquatic-gardeners.org & gwapa.org