Re: [APD] Is Chuck's Calulator accurate?

Byron J. Yu wrote:

Anyways, i wanted to see how much nitrate i actually end up putting in
there so i used chuck's fertilizer calulator: So everytime i dose, i
dose (1.25ml/2 = .125 tablespoons) in a 20 gallon tank, and i just put
1ml as the size of the solution to mix in so i get the exact amount on
nitrates i end up putting in, in the nitrates/ml result window.
Accourding to the calculator i end up putting 17 ppm of nitrate twice
a week! Is that right? I usually test the nitrate in my water 1 hour
after i dose it but still end up getting 5-10 ppm of nitrate in my
tests.

What form of KNO3 are you dosing? KNO3 is a dry powder. If yours in solution, than it's not pure KNO3......

How did you translate 1.25ml twice a week into .125 tablespoons?

But if you do add .125 tablespoons of KNO3 into a 20g tank, you are adding 17 ppm Nitrate.

So either the calculators wrong, my test kit is wrong (i have
overdosed b4 and have read higher nitrate readings so i know i'm
reading it right), i'm testing the water too soon after dosing, or my
plants are absorbing nitrate at an astounding amount.

Or you aren't adding as much KNO3 as you think.