[APD] Re: Vaccuming the gravel for planted tanks

WC,

If the large and frequent water changes are not reducing the ammonia, it is
possible that your water source contains chloramines and your water
treatment is locking it up but the ammonia test still sees it. If your
ammonia test has one bottle of reagent, that is a possibility. I think that
if there was chloramine and your treatment broke it to release ammonia but
did not lock it up, the plants would probably consume it rather quickly. I
suggest you do some testing. Draw some fresh tap water and test for ammonia,
then add your water conditioner, then test for ammonia again. It may be that
your water system has changed over to using chloramine and not informed you,
or perhaps it always used chloramine and with smaller less frequent water
changes and the appropriate water conditioner, you just never noticed.

Or, you have some other source of ammonia.

Ann V

> [...]
> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 12:52:34 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Erin Poythress <anang3 at yahoo_com>
> Subject: [APD] PETP, I surrender myself to you!
> To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
>
> Hi everyone,
>
> My name is Erin and I'm a plant abuser. Since moving
> to a new town, starting a new job and grad school, I
> have neglected my planted tank to the point that it's
> bordering abuse. I seem to be capable of killing (or
> at least defoliating to the nth power) A. nana.
>
> I realize that in coming forward I risk prosecution
> for my misdeeds unto my trusting, dependent plant
> "life," but I really want to do better and I was
> hoping you kind souls could find some compassion for
> me and help me help them.
>
> Tank specifics:
>
> 12G Nanocube with 24W 6700K PCF in there.
>
> Planted with the aforementioned Anubias-- the leaves,
> one by one, got brown spots, decayed, and I just
> yanked all but about 3 of them off (probably had close
> to 70 before).
>
> Also some sunset hygro that really looks like crap and
> a couple of crypts, a lutea and a ghost of a wendtii,
> to be exact.
>
> The only thing thriving in there is some java moss and
> a cladophora ball is hanging on, but worse for the
> wear.
>
> PH: 7.0
> KH: 4
> GH: 5
> NO3: 25mg/L as of yesterday per Tetra kit
> PO4: unknown.
>
> This tank is new for me, and I'm not used to having
> this much light. Obviously things are out of whack, I
> know I've been slacking on the ferts. Given that kind
> of light output, can someone suggest a ball-park guide
> to how much of the macros and micros I should dose? I
> have the whole Seachem line (thank God for those
> reps!).
> Thanks in advance,
> Erin
>

> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2004 12:58:34 -0700 (PDT)
> From: Erin Poythress <anang3 at yahoo_com>
> Subject: [APD] Evil multi update
> To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
>
> Hi guys,
> Thanks to all who posted about how to keep my multis
> from killing everyone. After three "apocalypses"
> (redecorations) and a few new shells, they have
> chilled out. The community is as stable now as I think
> cichlid communities can be!
>
> I did manage to lose in that time one Paracyprichromis
> nigripinnis, which kills me, because the one that's
> left is a big weenie and only comes out to feed. But
> that's how it goes, I guess. Thanks anyway.
>
> Erin

> Message: 5
> Date: Sun, 5 Sep 2004 10:40:46 -0400
> From: "Byron J. Yu" <sixty9 at gmail_com>
> Subject: [APD] Re: myths
> To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
>
> > Many folks add a lot of light on their tanks, believing the myth that
more light is better and will give you redder coloration and the ability to
grow Riccia and Gloss etc well, this is simply put: a myth.