[APD] Re: Myths

From: "Bill D" <billinet at comcast_net>
Date: Mon, 6 Sep 2004 14:02:00 -0400

> I wish someone would place his or her waterproof luxmeter at the
> bottoms of two tanks of different depths and answer one part of
> the question, anyway, for once and for all.

Been there, done that (at least to some degree).

In a 29 gallon tank with only water and gravel, light levels at various
depths become less or more, presumably based on how light is reflecting
from the tank walls and how well it is reflected by the light reflector.
Light a certain depths is equal to light at the surface due to critical
reflecting angles.

The biggest factor in light intensity (aside from the original lux at the
surface) is other plants and their shading effects.

There can be no hard and fast rules because each tank is planted
differently and any tank varies from day to day as plants grow.

George Booth in Ft. Collins, CO (gbooth at frii dot com)
 The website for Aquatic Gardeners by Aquatic Gardeners
   http://aquaticconcepts.thekrib.com/  (mirror)
   http://www.frii.com/gbooth/AquaticConcepts/