Re: [APD] Possible CO2 poisoning

I resisted the temptation to enter the thread for too long ;)
Anyway I do not know too much about fish biology but know a lot about
mammals and humans. CO2 is a natural regulator of breathing, blood chemistry
and blood flow. Excess of CO2 in the blood stream triggers a natural reflex
of inhaling. Also excess CO2 depletes buffers of blood chemicals that
prevent a shift of the pH of the blood, dilates blood vessels of the brain
(triggering a headache next day) alters hemoglobin ability to transport
oxygen... (and 5 more boring pages on homeostasis). Anyway sudden increase
of CO2 concentration is potentially harmful. However slower raise in CO2
content should be tolerated easier because regulatory mechanism will have a
chance to adapt. I would not say though that a few hours is enough. I have
only about 20 ppm normally and when I add new fish I usually go to 10 ppm
for at least a week (decrease slowly and increase slowly). Yes I had BGA pop
up once but EM tablets took care of it. This way I did not loose a fish due
to acclimatization.