Re: [APD] Off-topic: Tanganyikan behavior reference

Sorry I can't help with this particular fish. But this sort
of social stratification, as I've seen in other fish that
exhibit it, works pretty much like this. A rank order is
established, each one bossing those below it. The bottom
one generally gets nosed out at feeding time and eventually
weakens and dies. Then it's the next rung's turn to be nose
out. This won't necessarily continue until only one is
left. If the tank is large enough, has enough shelters,
then the bossing won't destroy the whole population save
one. For example, dwarf cichlids, in general, seem need
about a lot of room, 10 or 20 gallons apiece to have
adequate safe zones and territories to all their own -- one
fish can't claim and defend a whole lake or river. Watching
them sort it out can be very interesting and not
necessarily harmful. David Soares (apisto wizard) says that
to see the really natural behavior of dwarf cichilds you
need to put a half dozen or so in a 40 or 50 gallon tank --
with appropriate sheltering material -- then you'll see
them estabilish ranks and zones in very srongly exhibited
distinct behavior patterns. I'm paraphrasing terribly and
don't have the numbers exact but you get the idea.
columbian tetras, supposedly peaceful fish, don't do well
in these regards with more than one or two in a six gallon
tank. In a much larger tank, a large group is possible.

So just based on general observations, I'd say you might
lose one and no more or all depending on the aggressiveness
and amount of space these fish (well, each individual of
these) need to "call their" and to feel safe. And here
where you really need the info I have none to offer :-(

Good luck. It's interesting and strikingly specific
behavior but it can be sad an frustrating too.

Scott H.