[APD] pH probe for soil

Hey guys,
Got a question I couldn't find an answer to in the archive (might be there,
but I didn't see it).  I was wandering through a nursery the other day and
saw one of those simple pH soil testers (the ones with the long metal probes
that you basically just stick in the soil -- looks a lot like a hydrometer).
Could this work for testing water pH as well?  Why or why not?  It's only
about five bucks, so even if the accuracy isn't great, it'd still be an
inexpensive and convenient way to keep a general eye on pH levels.

If I don't get any answers, I guess I'll just try it out and see.

-Abraham F