Re: [APD] Removes "heavy metals"?

I belive your question was contained in this:

"My guess is that they use EDTA (the same stuff present on
fertilizers), it's
cheap, even present on hair conditioneres and shampoos.

Someone know what are those afinities (EDTA) with common
metals?"

I'm not a chemist and I don't know that answer. I suspect
that the common chelators do grab at least some of them but
then I don't know that all the conditoners use those common
chelators.

So that's not much help and why I didn't respond previously
to that question except to point to Dr. Morin's posts.
There's no need to use more conditioner than what's
required to knock out the chlorine or chloramines. I
believe the conditioners will atach trace elements if they
don't have any of the heavy stuff to grab. But, as I
understand from what Dr. Morin has posted, the effect is
small -- the asumption being that the heavy metals are in
extrememly low concentrations -- much lower than any trace
mix adds -- so enough treat heavy metals is not enough to
seriously deplete nutrient traces. I tend to dose a bit
heavy on traces anyway and don't worry about it.

That's not an answer either, but the best I can give you.

I doubt anyone is ever ignored on APD -- too many of us
"BIG Mouths" ;-)

Sometimes, a poster simply "stumps the band" or hits the
list with, say , a chemistry question, at a time when the
chemists are busy.

Scott H.

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200102/msg00171.html

http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200302/msg00030.html