[APD] PMDD: What's Potassium Sulfate used for

Hello,

I read Paul L. Sears and Keven Conlin's paper on
controlling algae in Planted Aquaria. And I'm curious
why they listed Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) in the PMDD
ingredient list? Specifically, what is the Sulfate
part of compound good for. According to their
document, it mentioned that K2SO4 was used in response
to the Potassium deficiency in one of their tanks. But
you should be able to supply enough Potassium into
your tank using Potassium Nitrate (KNO3). Given that,
there's no need for K2SO4.

Since I couldn't find Potassium Nitrate or Potassium
Sulfate near my area, I decided to tweak the PMDD
formula and replace the those 2 ingredients with the
following

muriate of potash K20 - Potassium supplement
Nitrate of Soda NaNO4 - Nitrogen supplement

Do you think this will work?

Thanks

-WC