RE: [APD] Help With My New Tank!! -- or - Bravely into the Shadows

Generally, LED's (light emitting diodes) provide light at a single
wavelength - they're typically monocromatic.

Providing the spectrum required by a planted tank would be a very
expensive exercise involving many different leds using many different
doping agents in their construction.

I'm certain you could construct a hood using LED's but my bet is that it
would be far more expensive than using standard discharge lighting such
as fluorescent.

Graham.