[APD] Re: Oedogonium, black-outs and AlgaeFix

Steve
We/I have discussed Algae fix and other algicides over the years here.
My view on this and other products is fairly well known.
You may serach the archives for my post on this one.
You can also view my advice and opinion on dealing with ponds in my previous post to Jim.
I have NO USE for these product, tell you what, send me 19.95$ instead, I even accept Canadian money, and I'll fix the issue better than this.
If you do a controlled study, you'll find the algicides don't work because they do not grow plants which is why you have algae in the first place(or not enough plant biomass to begin with).

Do plants grow on algicides/is this a plant nutrient?

Put that way you can see the issue.

I've been trying to discover if there is a black-out protocol that might
be effective against Oedogonium. I suspect that in its normal stage of
life as a growing filament, that it could be killed in a few days of
complete darkness. As a spore, it can withstand desiccation and remain
viable for a very long time so the key to extinguishing it might be to
create conditions where spores do not form and then subjecting it to
blackout.
=============
Well you can kill it easy enough, but you are still left with the nagging question, why do you have it to begin with?
It appear when your tank is disturbed or just starting out and does not have enough CO2 typically.
I've not had issues with this alga for many many years. Spores will always be there, if you want to be dependent on some snake oil algae killer, be my guest. Stuff does not grow plants, you don't need it.

I have a large aquarium which has a very thick growth of Oedogonium.
Increasing CO2 and using regular nutrient dosing (including nitrate) &
water exchanges stimulate fast growing macrophytes including Hygrophila
polysperma but also stimulate filamentous algae: Oedogonium and unknown
thread algae which forms dense cotton balls. Slow growing plants such as
Crypts are so heavily coated by Oedogonium that they are not able to
effectively compete with the algae despite improved environmental
conditions.

You are missing something else then, perhaps if you use rich substrates with lots of organic matter that's leaked up but no enough light or NH4 ec to trigger a Green water or Staghorn bloom.
I still think CO2 has a lot to do with it or a lack of water changes.
It might take 2-4 weeks to balance out a tank also, so during that time you need to keep on top of it.
Keep after it and the plants will take over if you have good CO2, adequare plant biomass/health, NO3, etc

Regardsm
Tom Barr

Steve P in rainy Delta, BC (suburb of greater Vancouver)