[APD] Oedogonium, black-outs and AlgaeFix

Has anyone tried a product called AlgaeFix in their planted aquarium?
Here is a link which describes the product.
<http://www.pondusa.com/treat6a.htm> Unfortunately it tells us little
about the chemical nature of the product. Here is an excerpt:

	"How does Pond Care AlgaeFix work ?
	Pond Care AlgaeFix controls algae in
	two ways. Many algae, like Chlorella,
	consist of a single cell. Pond Care
	AlgaeFix causes the algae cell wall to
	leak. The algae respond much like a
	deflating balloon.  Other algae, such
	as Oedogonium, form filaments made up
	of many cells. Pond Care AlgaeFix binds
	to protein in the cell membrane,
	disrupting the flow of nutrients and
	ions across the cell membrane.
	Filamentous algae respond to Pond Care
	AlgaeFix by gradually disintegrating
	over time. AlgaeFix can be used with
	aquatic plants"

I'm hesitant to use this product without knowing how it might affect
macrophytes.

I've been trying to discover if there is a black-out protocol that might
be effective against Oedogonium. I suspect that in its normal stage of
life as a growing filament, that it could be killed in a few days of
complete darkness. As a spore, it can withstand desiccation and remain
viable for a very long time so the key to extinguishing it might be to
create conditions where spores do not form and then subjecting it to
blackout.

Spirogyra forms spores when environmental conditions are harsh. I've
been able to greatly reduce Spirogyra infestations by using blackouts of
about 1 week. Following Tom Barr's suggestions, I perform a complete
water change and re-dose with all nutrients prior to and subsequent to
the black-out. This is effective with both Spirogyra and BGA. I also
remove as much of the algae biomass as possible manually.

I have a large aquarium which has a very thick growth of Oedogonium.
Increasing CO2 and using regular nutrient dosing (including nitrate) &
water exchanges stimulate fast growing macrophytes including Hygrophila
polysperma but also stimulate filamentous algae: Oedogonium and unknown
thread algae which forms dense cotton balls. Slow growing plants such as
Crypts are so heavily coated by Oedogonium that they are not able to
effectively compete with the algae despite improved environmental
conditions.

Steve P in rainy Delta, BC (suburb of greater Vancouver)