Re: [APD] Re: New set-up

Shallow tanks are nice and easy to take care of, but I wouldn't trade my 72, which is about 18" from substrate to rim, for anything. Sure, it's a pain to get down to the substrate (I'm 5'4" tall & stand on a stool to do it), but I don't have to do it that often, and I love the long vertical lines of the taller grassy plants like vals and willow hygro - something that just can't be achieved in a long, low tank. But my tank is also fairly narrow - I'm not sure I could do it if it were wider.

Rachel
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Diane Brown<mailto:debunix at well_com>
  To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com<mailto:aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
  Sent: Thursday, July 29, 2004 10:11 AM
  Subject: [APD] Re: New set-up

  If you're looking for shallower tanks with a bigger planting surface vs
  taller narrower tanks, consider asking about "breeder" tanks--they tend
  to come in standard lengths & widths so they can take the same hoods as
  typical 55s, 75s, 90s, etc, and they may be in stock at larger stores.

  I've been watching a friend's fishroom this week and a couple of times
  had reason to reach to the bottom of a 75G and a 120G tank....not
  something I'd want to do on a regular basis tending my garden, even
  with long forceps & tweezers.  When I move & can finally get a larger
  tank or two, I'm going shallow!

  Diane Brown in St. Louis