[APD] New Set Up

Message: 2
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 03:14:09 -0400
From: "Robert Armas" <rarmas at bellsouth_net>
Subject: [APD] New Set Up
To: "Aquatic Plants List" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>

In about two months, after moving by the end of August to the new home, I will finally will fulfill my desire: to set up and mantain a planted tank.
I need some advice and guidance.
I will select something between 40 and 75 gallons, if the tank is too high, I may consider removing the top frame, have it cut down to near 12 inches by a glass cutter and putting back the top frame with silicone.

Rob, as well intended as this sounds, this isn't going to work. Maybe I'm missing something. Perhaps you're a professinal glass worker and you know how to diassemble, cut and then reassemble an aquarium sealed strong and leak free. It's not as simple as it sounds.

If you really want to try cutting glass on an assembled tank, then I highly recommend you try it on a 2gal junker first to see just how difficult of a task that might present. Good luck and post your resulting photos online. I would like to see. *evil grin*

I also saw several other suggestions posted as well as the option of a custom built tank. You can also build your own out of sealed plywood with a glass face and inset into the wall. As for DIY there are many options, but cutting an assembled _glass_ tank just isn't one of them -- so far as I know.

- Chris.