Re: [APD] Replace front Glass pannel -- or - Working towards Clarity

It's a pain getting the rims off. If you can get both off
without breaking anything, then cutting through the silcone
is pretty much a breeze, as is applying a new panel from a
glass shop with some fresh silicone. The rims have to be
well cleaned free of old silicone before you reapply them.
Too much silicone and it will ooze out in places.

It's a lot of work and tanks tend to be the cheapest part
of setting up a system (well, actually the water is the
cheapest part). If it was me. I'd go for a replacement tank
and reserve this one for plant grow-out, raising fry,
quarantine. remote sump, terrarium, giant jello mold, etc.

Or, if you are a diehard diy person and interested in even
more work, you can try your hand at polishing away the
scratches and etching in the glass. Search the APD archives
or take a look at _The Aquatic Gardener_, Volume 15, Issue
Number 3, page 35.

Good luck good fun, and good ointment ;-)
Scott H.

--- Kevin Madsen <kevin_madsen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a 135Gal that the front glass is pretty badly
> etched. Can I
> replace just that pannel or is this a good excuse to
> replace it with a
> 170 (The 170 has the same footprint)
>
> --
> Kevin Madsen
> Kevin_Madsen at GMAIL.com

=====
It's the contest that started international competition in aquascaping
planted aquaria! AGA's 2004 Aquascaping Contest is open for entrees:

 http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2004.cgi

Novices and experts alike show their skills. Past winners have been
novices and experts, too. You can view all the entrees at The 5th AGA
Annual Convention. Details/Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org &
www.gwapa.org