Re: [APD] CO2 won't dissolve- Update

Virtually any gas(es) should have dissolved unless the
water was already saturated with that gas or those gases.

sh

--- Dan Dixon <dandixon at mac_com> wrote:
> S. Hieber at shieber at yahoo_com wrote:
>
> > hmmmm....If it was air, might not the water be near
> > saturation?
>
> Right: plain air would stay in the reactor forever,
> virtually. But how did
> the plain air get in the reactor? Since his CO2 rig was
> presumably bubbling
> gas into the reactor prior to the 4 hrs he cut the
> solenoid off, and since
> apparently no additional gas entered the reactor via the
> powerhead (the gas
> volume didn't change), it seems like at least some of
> that trapped gas
> should have dissolved if any of it was CO2. Even
> considering partial
> pressure exchange between the gas and water, the fact
> that the gas volume
> did not get smaller seems odd to me. Seems like any CO2
> in there should have
> at least partially dissolved faster than partial pressure
> could replace it
> with gasses in the water. No?
>
> Dan Dixon

=====
It's the contest that started international competition in aquascaping
planted aquaria! AGA's 2004 Aquascaping Contest is open for entrees:

 http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2004.cgi

Novices and experts alike show their skills. Past winners have been
novices and experts, too. You can view all the entrees at The 5th AGA
Annual Convention. Details/Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org &
www.gwapa.org