Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 11, Issue 9Re: [APD] CO2 not dissolving

If the controller is letting the CO2 run for hours on end,
then and the CO2 level isn't very high at 60 b per min,
then either your tank is shedding faster than you can get
the CO2 into it -- and too fast for the reactor also -- air
is leaking in. Just saw Richard B's comment about the
powerhead drawing in air -- that's a good thing to check as
well as the connections.

Scott H.

--- "jebrady7 at juno_com" <jebrady7 at juno_com> wrote:

> For a 30g, I'm really seemingly using too much CO2 to hit
> the target.  This is a temporary setup until the 65 is
> ready, the filter creates some surface disturbance, is an
> internal Fluval that pumps a lot of water even when set
> to minimum.  Tonight I will drop it on its side to
> minimize loss through surface agitation and see what it
> takes to hit the target bubble-rate-wise.
>
> The SMS constantly monitors the pH.  I have not
> double-checked it with a chemical test kit or my
> handheld.

If yhou're going to check it, do that with calibration
fluid. The test kits aren't accurate enough to check an
electronic tester, imo.

> I can do that when I get home tonight as well.
>  The reason for quoting the bubble rate is to find out if
> 100 or so gph _should_ dissolve all the gas in the
> reactor.

I run one of Tom's reactors on a 30g and use an even
smaller water flow rate. It's not a problem. I've done it
with and without a controller and solenoid. The solenoid
runs several times per 24 hour period but not for hours
when it does.

> I'm trying to find out what's ballpark maximum
> for that flow rate so as to eliminate the gas as
> contaminated.

Even if it's contaminated, it would have to be with a gas
that doesn't dissovle readily in water. Another source of
gas entering would be a different story, it would be gas in
addition to what the solenoid is passing. And if CO2 gas
runs fast and long enough, you'll probably gas up the
reactor.

How much flow do you guys need to get the
> job done on, say a 75?  Can't you get 30ppm with one of
> these reactors?

Without a solenoid, I'd get 30ppm with one of those
reactors on a 30g and the bubbles on my set were about 12
per minute. But your tank, bubble size, surface agitation,
etc. can be somewhat diff, so check the CO2 level.

> I suppose I could turn off the gas once
> it's accumulated a few inches in the reactor and see if
> it dissolves. If it doesn't dissolve and the pH rises, I
> got something else in the cylinder with the CO2.

But what would the impurity be , nitorgen, plain air, that
it wouldn't dissolve?

It could be that you have something else in the CO2 tank
but I think it's worth checking the other things first.

> a common thing?  This is my first time with pressurized,
> btw.

Good luck, good news, once you get is set up, you won't
have to think about it for months :-)
Once you g

=====
It's the contest that started international competition in aquascaping
planted aquaria! AGA's 2004 Aquascaping Contest is open for entrees:

 http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2004.cgi

Novices and experts alike show their skills. Past winners have been
novices and experts, too. You can view all the entrees at The 5th AGA
Annual Convention. Details/Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org &
www.gwapa.org