[APD] RE:filter or pumpr

Hi John,

and earlier you wrote:
> I read
> on the APD that every surface in the tank is a biological filter.  So, over
> time, I've gradually removed all the elements that make it a filter, i.e.
> the little ceramic tubes, the various baskets for media, and even the four
> sponge filters.

What was the chain of events here? Were you having a gunk problem before or
after you removed all the filter elements?

I'm thinking that the beneficial bacteria population which your system
supports is suffering from a lack of real estate. They are only able to live
on the surfaces which you have left for them; namely, the canister, the
heater module and the hoses. Colonies may be so crowded that they are
existing piggy-back on top of one another. From there, it's easy to suggest
a couple of mechanisms which might cause the gunk to break free
occasionally.
--
Hope this helps,  :)
Bob