Re: [APD] Filter versus Pump

> From: "S. Hieber" <shieber at yahoo_com>
> Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2004 05:08:11 -0700 (PDT)
>
> While on the subject of the Pro II's, the seal on the
> priming mechanism must be kept lubricated with petroleum
> jelly. Two things can happen if it is not:  1) the primer
> becomes difficult to work and more or less ineffective and
> 2) water can leak past the seal -- at which point it tends
> to show up at the place where the electrical cord leaves
> the pump head. <snip>

> One other thing about the Pro IIs. The little ball that is
> marketed as a flow rate indicator functions as a one-way
> valve when using the primer so that water is sucked in
> through the inlet only and expelled through the outlet.
> When this ball becomes worn, the primer becomes
> ineffective. <snip>

Whoa!  You people are beginning to make me think my Fluval 304 is not such a
bad machine after all.  Priming?  Lubricating?  Worn out indicator ball?
I've never experienced any of these problems.  After I clean and refill the
canister, I just put the aquastop back in (that keeps the hoses from
emptying the tank onto the floor) and turn it on.  That's it.  There is a
little priming plunger, but the only times I've ever used it was when the
input hose was empty.  Even then, I found it was easier to just pour water
into the hose at the tank end.

The O-ring under the lid has never needed lubricating, and the filter
doesn't leak.  There isn't a flow indicator, so I can't speak to that
problem.  Scott also mentioned the impeller sometimes starting in the
reverse direction.  Mine never has that I know of; the little vanes on the
impeller are curved, so that I don't think they would push any water if the
motor did start in reverse.

Still, the Fluval is 3-1/2 years old and it did stop running the other day,
until I discovered the problem, and got it re-started.  I'm always worried
about breaking off the ceramic impeller shaft, when I try to clean around
it.  And it does seem to hum a bit more than it used to.  So...I'll probably
end up following the clear concensus here that, when the time comes, I
should replace it with an Eheim 2026.

John T. Fitch
www.fitchfamily.com/aquarium.html