[APD] RE: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 11, Issue 6

I would use a sponge pad in the there or ceramic media etc. That's all I
add to a canister typically.
Better to have a backup with some bacteria rather than algae.

I completely agree with Tom on this one.

I have an ehiem canister on my 180, as well as a sump. When my overflow sprung a leak, and I needed to shut down the sump, I saw a decrease in flow, an increase in C02, an increase in detritus, and would have been in bigger trouble had I not been running the canister with ceramic media and sponge pads. The tank had to run this way for several months before the sump was repaired, and I am thankful I had it.

Regards,

Michael Laflamme
spicolte at hotmail_com