[APD] RE:filter or pumpr

> Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 14:09:39 -0700
> From: "Rachel Sandage" <rachelsor at hotmail_com>
> Subject: Re: [APD] Re: filter vs pump
> To: "aquatic plants digest" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> John,
>
> I have the Eheim 2026 and M3 mixer running on my 72 gallon tank and am
very
> happy with the setup. I was wondering how quickly your holes plugged up in
> the mixer J? I clean mine out every 4 or 5 months - is that quickly?
>
> The 2026 will certainly move plenty of water through your 30.
>
> Rachel

I was experiencing signficant clogging, often within minutes after cleaning
out the Mixer J.  This was true even right after cleaning out the cannister
filter.  It's the same stringy brown gunk that I've recently asked about.
The stuff seems to accumulate in the cannister, in the heater module and in
the hoses.  After cleaning out the cannister, I tried a practice of
siphoning water from the tank, down through the cannister, through the
heater module, and into a bucket. By shaking the hoses and even the heater
module, I could dislodge a lot of clumps, but after re-assembly, more would
appear and clog the holes in the mixer jar input tube.  After enlarging the
holes quite a bit, I was able to cut down on the clogging but I still had a
lot of the gunk floating around in the jar and clinging to the tubes.  So,
now I only have to clean everything out every two or three weeks --
certainly not at intervals of months.  I envy you!

John T. Fitch
www.fitchfamily.com/aquarium.html