[APD] RE:filter or pump

> Now I'm wondering why I couldn't replace the cannister with a simple pump
or
> powerhead.  The Fluval is rated at 260 g.p.h., and I find pumps that
provide
> more flow than that at a quarter the price of a new Fluval.
>
> Would this be a practical or advisable solution?  If so, would someone
> please recommend a reliable and *quiet* pump.  Thanks in advance.
>
> John T. Fitch
> www.fitchfamily.com/aquarium.html

I would use a sponge pad in the there or ceramic media etc. That's all I
add to a canister typically.
Better to have a backup with some bacteria rather than algae.
I think the main thing is just cleaning the thing when it gets clogged.

This is a maintenance issue, not a plant issue. The decrease in flow will
greatly effect the health of many plant tanks and cause algae/detritus and
other issues.
Folks worry a lot about their filters robbing their plants of NH4 etc, I
think the issue is one of consistent flow and removing the build up organic
matter.
Easy solution: clean your filter regularly or add a powerhead so that it
does not clog. One has a bacterial back up and removes stuff from the water
column.
Powerheads with spray bars are good along the bottom back wall blowing out
along the slope of the gravel.

Regards,
Tom Barr