[APD] Forms of Monosolenium

Monosolenium (ex-Pellia) has been growing well in my display tank for over a year with the familiar dichotomous style of branching, so that it formed a rather large mound. Some weeks ago it stopped growing. Nothing happened for a while, then new brighter green plantlets started sprouting all round the edge of the thalli. I have not seen this happen before, and am not sure what triggered it off -Possibly summer temperatures?  It looks like some kind of asexual reproductive behaviour. I believe the plantlets are called gammae, clones of the mother plant. They do not appear to detach easily and give the whole mound a crinkly look that from a distance looks rather like its terrestrial form. Quite attractive. Thought you would like to know.

regards

Stephan
Malta