[APD] RE: Reducing/controlling algae

Personally, I'm not at all keen on adding any type of chemicals to the
water.

Infestation of algae is always a sign of an imbalance of some type, usually
a mixture of lighting and nutrients.

Get the balance right and you won't have a problem.

So I agree with all the non-chemical addition recommendations listed here
but would forget about adding pouches/chemicals.

Nitrate/phosphate removers might be useful as a specific one-time
intervention if you have an imbalance but otherwise if your plants are doing
well (and you have enough of them) and you do regular water changes (I do
35% every two weeks) you won't have an issue with these either.

Quite a few chemicals/pouches/resins etc actually replace what you're trying
to remove with something else.  Most of the time you don't want that
"something else" either!

Also, why would you want to reduce bacteria levels? The right type of
bacteria is exactly what you need to reduce NH3/4 to NO3 (nitrates).  There
is even aneorobic bacteria that reduces nitrates to gaseous nitrogen
(therefore eliminating the nitrates...)

Laith

Message: 1