Re: [APD] additional fish die off

On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:35:47 -0700, John Van Rees <revjohn at spiritone_com> wrote:

Holy Cow!!

today I did another 5 gallon water change on the 45 gallon planted tank.

Ph.. near 7    (Out of Tap 7)
Ammonia 0   (out of tap 0)
Nitrites    0    (out of tap not tested)
Gh          7    (Out of tap 0!)
KH         5     (Out of Tap 2)

And again.. fish die!!! I did what everyone recommended... same water temp... added dechlorinater ( NovAqua) used the same equipment I have always used....

and still 2 dead pairs of rainbows!

Any new suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

John

aquatic-plants at actwin_com

Read this page: http://aquascienceresearch.com/ProductInfo/Novaqua.htm
Specifically this part:
"If water is suspected of containing chloramines (a complex of chlorine and ammonia) or ammonia, the following procedure should be used to protect your fish and invertebrates: (1) Add NovAqua to protect the fish from stress, add a protective slime coat and prevent shock; (2) Add Kordon's AmQuel® to remove ammonia and chloramines from the water."

All Novaqua does, if faced with chloramine, is release the ammonia into the water. You must use a better water conditioner if you have chloramines.

Use Prime. With it, it's almost difficult to kill fish... ammonia, nitrite or nitrate won't do it.

--
Andrew McLeod
thefish at theabyssalplain_freeserve.co.uk

This email was scanned carefully before transmission to remove any content, information or relevance.