[APD] Re: CO2 use - off at night? -- or - plugging timers

Giancarlo Podio <gp at isaconsulting_com>
> In theory that works, but it's assuming that the plants are the only
> "consumers" of CO2. In my experience thats not the case, gas
> exchange has
> proven to be the biggest consumer of CO2 in my tanks to date, and that
> obviously doesn't slow down at night. Unless you have a very low
<snip>

I had an experience recently that highlights the importance of gas exchange in maintaining CO2 levels. I let some watersprite just about cover the surface of my tank and my pH went down from 6.6 to 6.2 (KH 4.5) with no change in bubble rate (running 24/7), I assume from the reduced gas transfer at the waters' surface.

Clint Brearley
Melbourne, Australia