Re: [APD] adding Calcium Carbonate

Adding it to the sump might get yu less clouding. Otoh,  it
might dissolve much less quickly.

In my tanks, if I add CaCO3, the water is cloudy for about
a half day. I add it at the water change, after all the
pruning, etc., and I generally don't mind walking away from
the tanks then for a few hours ;-)

If I add it to the sump nthe 150, some clumps of it
sometimes will be there for a few days, so it definitely
gets spread around the water system more slowly -- which
doesn't necessarily mean itls dissolving any slower or
faster one way than the other.

sh
--- MJPinckard <MJPinckard at lbl_gov> wrote:
> I have extremely soft water, and have been having
> problems with calcium
> deficiency. I purchased some calcium carbonate from the
> local beer
> brewing store to add to the tank. The problem is that
> when I add it to
> the tank, the extremely fine grained particles go into
> suspension and
> take a long time to clear. The tank is cloudy/milky for a
> day or so,
> then hazy for a couple of water changes.
>
> While it is amusing to watch the currents transporting
> the stuff around
> until the tank is a solid white, that gets old soon (I'd
> rather look at
> the plants and fish).  Any ideas on ways to add a fine
> powder without
> creating a snowstorm?
>
> I'd prefer to add it to the sump, so that there is plenty
> of water flow
> to help the dissolving...
>
> Maggie

=====
Cryptocorynes seem cryptic? Worried about meltdowns? Can't tell a C. wendtii from C. undulata? See 'Crypt'master Jan D. Bastmeijer, host of The Crypt Pages website, at The 5th AGA Annual Convention. Details/Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org & www.gwapa.org