RE: [APD] adding Calcium Carbonate

What really helps it to dissolve is CO2 injection.  The carbonic acid does a
nice job of dissolving the powder.

-----Original Message-----
From: aquatic-plants-bounces+kettles=videotron_ca at actwin.com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces+kettles=videotron_ca at actwin.com] On Behalf Of
MJPinckard
Sent: Wednesday, June 09, 2004 4:09 PM
To: aquatic-plants at actwin_com
Subject: [APD] adding Calcium Carbonate

I have extremely soft water, and have been having problems with calcium
deficiency. I purchased some calcium carbonate from the local beer
brewing store to add to the tank. The problem is that when I add it to
the tank, the extremely fine grained particles go into suspension and
take a long time to clear. The tank is cloudy/milky for a day or so,
then hazy for a couple of water changes.

While it is amusing to watch the currents transporting the stuff around
until the tank is a solid white, that gets old soon (I'd rather look at
the plants and fish).  Any ideas on ways to add a fine powder without
creating a snowstorm?

I'd prefer to add it to the sump, so that there is plenty of water flow
to help the dissolving...

Maggie