Re: [APD] transporting CO2 tanks?

Steven Pituch at spituch at ev1_net wrote:

> Has anyone thought about why the professionals transport gas bottles
> vertically?

Actually, the professionals often ship filled gas cylinders horizontally.
I'm also not aware of any law requiring CO2 tanks to be shipped vertically.
Still, it's a good idea to keep them vertical if possible, since it allows
the cylinder's safety valve, which is spec'd to the vapor pressure of the
gas, to stay in "communication" with the tank's vapor space.

> Also I was told once that if you have just had a tank refilled you need to
> transport it vertically.  Mine forms ice on the outside while I am putting it
> into the truck.  I snug it against the rear seat and the front passenger seat
> so it stays vertical.  I think the same guy said that if the cold liquid co2
> contacted the seals in the valve that it could cause them to go brittle or
> stick.

Liquid CO2 isn't cold until it expands, so it's not going to cause seals to
"go brittle" on contact inside a closed tank. Besides, the valve seals
contact liquid CO2 every time the tank is filled. They're made to handle it.

The frost on your tank is from the brief initial expansion of liquid CO2 at
the start of the refill.

Dan Dixon