RE: [APD] green water and water changes

-----Original Message-----
From: aquatic-plants-bounces+rick703=mts_net at actwin.com
[mailto:aquatic-plants-bounces+rick703=mts_net at actwin.com]On Behalf Of
Sean Kettle
Sent: Tuesday, June 08, 2004 7:45 PM
To: 'aquatic plants digest'
Subject: RE: [APD] green water and water changes

I found large water changes did nothing for my green water.  It turns out, I
wasn't dosing enough traces.

I would dose my N and P at 5 to 1 ratios, but without the right amount of
traces, the plants couldn't use it.  And a high nitrate tank is a great
candidate for green water.

Also, I believe I read that large water changes are actually BENEFICIAL to
green water, as you are more than likely to introduce more spores into the
tank.

I, too, resorted to extreme filtering with a diatom filter.  But even after
I filtered the tank crystal clear, the green water would come back the
minute I began dosing N and P again.

Find the deficiency and deal with it.  As far as traces go, I have a medium
light tank (55 watt CF on a 25 gallon tank) and I dose almost 5ml a day of
traces.  Nary a bit of algae.  As long as you have a couple of decent algae
eaters, things like BBA and hair algae should never get a decent foot hold
(at least they don't in my tank with two SAE).

I fought with green water for almost 3 months.  Water changes and filtering
did nothing.  Fixing my nutrients did.

my green water problem appears to be solved and I do believe it is likely
caused by too much of some nutrient. In my case I stopped dosing everything
for 5 days , did large water changes and used the diatom and it cleared up
and has not returned. I am back dosing smaller amounts of nitrate , PMDD and
some extra traces.

Rick