[APD] Re: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 10, Issue 9

> Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2004 12:35:55 -0400
> From: "Kurt Wiedenhoeft" <kurt at saskia_com>
> Subject: [APD] transporting CO2 tanks?
> To: <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> All this talk about CO2 tanks reminds me of something my supplier told
> me the last time I got a CO2 tank. He told me that in Florida it's
> illegal to transport a filled tank in my car ($10,000 fine no less),
> that it should only be transported in an open pickup truck. He said one
> of their customers got stopped by the police after somebody noticed the
> tank in the back of her car at a Wal-mart parking lot (that I can
> believe).
>
> I find that really hard to believe, especially since I've never heard
> that when I pick up a propane tank with my car. On the other hand, I'd
> hate to be proved wrong... has anyone else heard this?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Kurt

Federal DOT regs require compressed gas bottles to be transported and stored
in an upright position and secured for safety reasons.  I suspect many
localities may add on rules about transportation inside a vehicle.  Laying
down in the back of a pickup is just as big a violation.  Any traffic cop
who works the main roads will be aquatinted with the rules, or anyone who
has hazmat training.  Local police would probably just give you a lecture on
the safety hazard.

Bob