[APD] re: CO2 probe and in-line heater

(snip)>Does anybody know if there is a electronic CO2 probe on the market?
Also I
>just got my new Drs. Foster & Smith catalog and see they now carry a inline
>heater. They are kind of pricey but I can finally get those ugly heaters
> out of my planted tank.
>Warren E. Berg Jr.
>AKA Wormy

I don't think anyone makes a submersible CO2 probe, although there are
gaseous CO2 sensors on the market. AFAIK, all the aquarium people use the
pH charts and a pH probe/controller to regulate the CO2 levels in their
tanks.

For the heater, Rainbow/Lifegard has made a set of inline products
(heater, UV, filter, etc.) for some time. The famous "Quite one" pump is
part of their inline system. The idea is the heater goes after the pump
and is in the water flow all the time. I haven't tried one myself, and I
suspect putting a heater in a sump would work just as well. Using a sump
will let you move all your electronic gizmos out of your tank, and the
sump will help keep the water level in the tank constant as well.

     -Bill(snip)I have three of the Hydor brand in-line heaters Warren
mentions. They are used with my Eheim Cannister filters and I could not be
happier with their operation. Heaters in sumps work fine as well. I have one
of those on my 240 gallon.But I question the need of setting up an entire
sump system orthe Lifegard system with the associated costs just to
accomplish the same thing that a $50 outlay would by just buying the in-line
Hydor heater and keeping the current filtration setup. For a sump you'd have
to buy an overflow, wet-dry (or tank), return pump, and plumbing for the
intake/returns. The Lifegard system would be just as much if not more
expensive than that. The Quiet One Pump is $100 MO by itself.The Hydor makes
more sense.Dave