Re: [APD] Re: re: complete CO2 system

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004, Robert H wrote:

> You are lucky. Here in Salem, of the four gas suppliers, only one will
> exchange Cylinders that are not their own, and none of them have five pound
> cylinders.  When I lived in San Jose California I could not find any
> supplier that would swap a cylinder that was not their own, two of these
> companies were on the SAME street and they would not take each others
> cylinders in a swap. None of them carried 5 pounders, a couple didn't carry
> anything smaller than a 20 pounder. Even if the did swap it, what is the
> point in buying an empty cylinder by mail when you can buy one filled
> locally? Just a rehtorical question! :)

I guess my experience (as well as the friends I know in Seattle) is
different from what most people are reporting.  I get my tanks filled at a
place called AAA Fire and Safety, I never swap cylinders, but always get
my own tanks refilled.  It takes about 10 minutes, costs about ten bucks
for a 15# cylinder, and has never been a problem.  I have bought all my
tanks locally, but a friend of mine got a nice deal on a brand new 5# tank
mail-order -- hydro tested and everything -- and paid seven bucks to get
it filled and has been quite happy as well.  It does suck having the hydro
test every 5 years, since I have to leave it there for a day and it costs
something like $20, but overall, it's fine.

  - Erik

--
Erik Olson
erik at thekrib dot com