[APD] RE: Mulm accreation in plant tanks

At 01:32 PM 6/1/2004 -0400, "Thomas Barr" <tcbiii at earthlink_net> wrote:

Mulm is not a good thing really except in small amounts in the substrate or
large amounts in a non CO2 tank substrate. Too much can be bad and place a
larger demand on O2 and organic fractions of nutrients which take more time
to become available to plants. Works well in non CO2 tanks, but in CO2
enriched tanks, not so well in general.Things move too fast.
Reminerlization takes some time and less light to work well for plants.

Tom, this is a radical new thought, at least for me. I've been reading your posts over the last couple of months about the wonders of mulm, although those were all in the context of a low-light tank.

My high-light CO2 plant tank is now 2 1/2 years old. It has always had a moderate or higher fish load. The Flourite substrate has never been vacuumed, except for surface accumulations (no gravel swirling). It's pretty thick with mulm at this point. It's on a 50% weekly water change regimen (aka Barr System).

Conventional wisdom is that we don't deep-vac the substrate in plant tanks. Does your statement above advise otherwise?

Dave Millman _____________________________________________________________ Is your product "Must Have" or just Nice to Have? Find your Sweet Spot! http://www.tactics.com

TACTICS Sells High Tech, Inc.
+1 408 836-3508