[APD] Re: DRAGON'S TAIL FERN

Dear Robert,

You posted some information regarding DRAGON'S TAIL FERN to the APD
recently, but you didn't say what it actually is - fern or moss?

James Foley, the person with the original question, calls it a moss, yet my
query of the online plant databases refers to a fern (Asplenium ebenoides)
with that common name. I noted in my response to James that this small fern
matches his word description and it is possible to get confused.

I understand that many suppliers of aquarium plants (especially those from
the Orient) only use common names for what they sell and they either don't
know or won't divulge the plant's true name and origins. In many cases, this
is done to protect their competitive advantage - great for their business
perhaps but not so great for hobbyists who want to know what they are
growing in their tanks.

As you are a seller and have actually seen the plant in question, which is
it - fern or moss?

Thanks,

James Purchase
Toronto