[APD] re: mites

Charles Harrison wrote:
> I have searched the archives and I don't find any remedy there. Does
> any one have a method to deal with mites.
> I can't get Frog Bit to live, most all the other floating plants
> don't live long.

Are these open top tanks?  With terrestrial plants, there are four basic options:

1.  increase humidity and spray plants with water
2.  Use a non-specific pesticide like soap, oil, or isopropyl alchohol
3.  Use a systemic acaricide
4.  introduce predatory mite species.

Options 2 and 3 are probably ruled out in an aquarium.  Most mites do not
 do well in warm, humid condtions, which is why I wonder if you have open
 top tanks.  The solution may be as simple as adding a tight cover glass.

I doubt whether the commercially available predatory species will like
the surface of an aquarium, but if you have already tried the cover glass,
they may be your only option.

Nick
--
Nicholas Plummer