Re: [APD] Corkscrewing leaves - name the deficiency

I get similar twisted leaves on Nesea (pedicilata?) and Willow hygro, and I use CaCO3 to keep my Ca high. I stopped using Seachem's Equilibrium because of its high K content, and while I did see a (subjective) improvement in the overall look of the tank, the stunting did not change.

Rachel
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: S. Hieber<mailto:shieber at yahoo_com>
  To: aquatic plants digest<mailto:aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
  Sent: Tuesday, May 04, 2004 3:27 AM
  Subject: Re: [APD] Corkscrewing leaves - name the deficiency

  If the Ca content is high enough, could it be that
  something else is interfering with CA uptake? Potassium has
  been a suspect in this regard?

  Scott H.
  --- Daniel Larsson <defdac at hotmail_com<mailto:defdac at hotmail_com>> wrote:
  > Chuck Gadd wrote:
  > >I'm probably too simplistic, but my first thought
  > whenever I
  > >see curled/twisted leaves is calcium.  Calcium is a
  > critical
  > >part of the cell walls, and it regulates cell wall
  > construction.
  >
  > This was my first guess too, and actually I see quite an
  > improvement in other plants (H. polysperma) when I dose
  > CaCO3.
  >
  > But my water company says 20 ppm Ca and my Hagen
  > Ca-test says at least 15 ppm Ca, and I believe Roger
  > Miller stated at Aquabotanic Wetthumb that this shouldn't
  > be any problem.
  >
  > // Daniel.

  =====
  Field Trip to the Baltimore Aquarium and The Aquarium Center
  First event of the AGA Annual Convention Nov 12, 13 & 14;
  Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org<http://www.aquatic-gardeners.org/>  & www.gwapa.org<http://www.gwapa.org/>