Re: [APD] RE: MTS -- or - Eliminating Unwanted Creatures at a Snail's Pace

I had MTs and they weren't difficult to eradicate at all.
They only came out when the lights when off. Then like a
lilliputian army they scrambled out of the Flourite.

I got some clown loaches and after a couple of weeks, there
were still MTS in the tank, coming out at night. I posted
about it and someone advised, just wait, the loaches will
get them all.  They did.  IN a few more weeks they were
gone. Not a single sign of them again since. I suppose a
few might still be in the Flourite, years laters, but if
they poke their eyes abvoe the substrate, loach food.

Scott H.
--- Greg Idemoto <gidemoto at hotmail_com> wrote:
> Although many people seem to like them, I hate them with
> a passion.
> Actually, I hate all snails, I dont' think they are
> neccesary. They populate
> too fast, sometimes eat plants and generally are just a
> pest. Also, they are
> unsightly IMO.
>
> But about the MTS, they are the most difficult snail to
> eradicate (if not
> impossible). Although loaches and puffers will eat them,
> they are
> notoriously difficult to completely eradicate since they
> burrow during the
> day and only come out during the night. Also, since they
> are hermaphroditic,
> you can start an entire population with just one snail.
> Also, becuase of
> their burrowing ability, they can burrow deep enough to
> avoid chemical and
> bleach eradication, as well as drying out the gravel.
>

> >What is your opinions on Malaysian trumpeter snails? Do
> you like them in
> >your planted tanks? I would like to know before I add
> them in to my
> >tank. Any considerations?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Randy

=====
Field Trip to the Baltimore Aquarium and The Aquarium Center
First event of the AGA Annual Convention Nov 12, 13 & 14;
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org  & www.gwapa.org