[APD] RE: spot algae

> From: "David Terrell" <Dave at TerrellClan_com>
> Subject: Re: [APD] RE: Spot algae
> To: "aquatic plants digest" <aquatic-plants at actwin_com>
>
> Tom, thanks for the advice.  Since I got back from Fl I've increased the
> CO2, feed the fish more regularly and have added in a second light dosing
of
> MKP per week (after water change and a few days before).  I've got lots of
> new, good growth that hasn't shown signs of giving into the spot algae.
> Also, algae on the already effected plants has not increased.  Some plants
> seem to be growing off the algae, if that's possible, but mostly what's
> there has remained so far.  Can I expect it to dissipate off the leaves
over
> some time or is it going to be a painful turnover only when the leaves are
> completely replaced by newer ones?

Dave if you are really hell bnent on not trimming off old ugly leaves, try
and H2O2 method and spot clean them.
Any algae issue you might have should be approached as a plant growth
problem. "How can I improve plant growth?"
Adding PO4 regularly and good CO2 will cause most spot algae issues to be
greatly reduced.
Spot algae is very common where low CO2, high light and PO4 deficient
conditions are kept.

If you want to further reduce spot algae, try less light. At 1.5-2w/gal of
NO FL lights, this effect is greatly enhanced. With lower light.
good CO2, macro and micro nutrients and lots of plants, herbivores will
really maximize the plant dominance more than any other set up. I seldom
ever cleaned the glass on these tanks, maybe once 2-3 monthes or longer. No
algae on any plants or equipment.

Regards,
Tom Barr