[APD] Water Circulation, Amano shrimp

I read that the filter system in a planted tank should only circulate
half the volume of water in the tank per hour. What is the guide line
for this?
My 38 gallon has a reverse flow undergravel filter rated at 190 Gal/Hr
and also a power filter turned down to lit's lowest  flow rate but is
rated at 145 Gal/Hr This would be something like 8X the tank volume per
hour.
I am adding pressurized CO2, have about 18 small fish and a fairly well
planted tank.
Any suggestions on changing this or is this okay? I am struggling
slightly with BGA on the substrate and lower stems of plants, sometimes
I wonder if the reverse flow undergravel filter brings out phosphates or
waste to the surface of the substrate?
This configuration was suggested by my LFS that had nice planted
tanks.
Question 2: Any advice on the care of Amano shrimp, I will be trying
these for the first time.Do folks add algae wafers?
Thanks for your help.
Randy