[APD] RE: Spot algae

> Now onto the problems.  Lately my slower growing crypt plants have gotten
a case of spot algae, really bad now and I'm getting upset.  The faster
growing plants aren't showing as much damage, but my older chain swords
(which are growing in perfectly) are really covered!  I noticed this week
after coming back from 5 days in Florida that my CO2 tank (that had just
been filled the day before I left) had dropped output pressure to only 2psi
and thus I don't think was putting out nearly as much CO2.  That seems to
have made things worse, however this started long before that.  The algae
is starting to stick to the glass (stonger then dust algea, but not as bad
as the dark greenish-black spots I got before requiring razor blade
removal).  This time, GH was 2 (pushing up), KH 5, ph 7.2 (I'm trying to
push that down, this is not normal) and normal, everyday 5ml pmdd.

> I have a hunch that now, after 8 months, my 10,000K lights are starting
to turn and cause a shift in good growth to algae.  My plants are still
growing at the same rate, there wasn't any slowdown or anything, just more
algae...any suggestions?

Well no CO2 for a time will cause spot algae to increase a great deal.
Lack of PO4 also seems to be correlated with it's appearance.

So general neglect such as no CO2, high light, no PO4 from leaving for
awhile likely caused it, but it's not hard to deal with or correct.

Simply moving back the lights from the front of glass cures some issues.
Less light does the best with good CO2 and nutrients, moderate fish load.
Least amount of algae, robust nutrient ranges, less lectric and bulb cost,
initial set up cost, less to worry about when going away, slower growth,
algae eaters can do more damage per critter.

You can add more light, but there's less room for error which can be a good
lesson in optimizing things for lower light tanks. But either can be done
and kept algae free with a little work and consistency.

Regards,
Tom Barr