Re: [APD] Wattage To Use

Other options, one 36 watt Power Compact or one 55 watt
Power Compact. If you want to really cook, use two of
either but you best add CO2 or get out your algae scrapers.
;-)

Incandescents yield so little light for the amount of heat
they shed, that they are rearely mentioned and even less
often considered, except in very special situations.

If upgrading, understand up front *why* you feel a need to
upgrade. -- what's your goal?  A fast tank that will grow
almost anything and require a lot fo pruning; a slow
growing, easy to manage tank. Something in between. Then
consider adding CO2.

sh
--- revance at indiana_edu wrote:
> This is the reason it is difficult to determine your
> lighting by the number of
> watts per gallon. One incandescent watt is different than
> a CF, NF, or VHO
> watt. Each different kind of light has a different light
> output per watt.
> Generally when people recommend using X many watts per
> gallon they are
> assuming you are using some form of fluorescent lamp.
> Therefore, I would refer
> to the actual wattage of the bulbs (27 watts).  You also
> need to keep in mind
> that those kinds of CF bulbs (the swirly ones) waste a
> lot of light, thus they
> are not as efficient as a straight 27 watt CF bulb.
> Personally I would use at
> least two of those bulbs for a 29 gallon tank.
>

> Quoting "Bennett, Bill" <wbennett at jtcc_edu>:
>
> > I am changing the lighting setup over a 29 gallon
> fish/plants aquarium.  I am
> > looking at using one or two (depending on the advice I
> get) 27 watt Spring
> > compact fluorescent bulb(s).  The advertisement says
> that this 27 watt CF
> > bulb "replaces a 100W incandescent bulb.   My question
> is, in determining
> > healthy wattage for the my 29 gallon, do I go by the
> total CF bulb wattage
> > (27W each) or the total incandescent (100W each) that
> is being replaced?  I
> > hope I made this inquiry clear.  Thanks.
> >
> > Bill
> >
> > - Always Avoid Alliteration -

=====
Erik Olson annouces AGA 2004 Annual Aquascaping Awards
at the annual Convention Nov 12, 13 & 14;
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org  & www.gwapa.org