Re: [APD] Wattage To Use

About 95% of the energy going into an incadescent bulb goes
to heat, not light. About 65% of the energy going into a
fluorescent bulb goes to heat, not light. Multitube, and
especially spiral tube fluorescents have much of their
light blocked by the tubes. So a spiral compact fluorescent
at 20 watts probably yields as much light on the
illuminated target as a 13 watt Power Compact or T5 bulb.

As a rough rule of thumb you can figure an incadescent at
about 5% of watts as light and a fluorescent about 3 to 5
times that amount. So many other factors enter into it, if
you try to get any more precise with the math, you'll be
counting winged creatures on pinheads before you get a
better result. If using Power compacts, aim for about 1-2
watts per gallon if you are not adding CO2 and about 2-3
watts per gallon if you are. You can put more light over
the tank, but things get much fussier.

Scott H.
--- "Bennett, Bill" <wbennett at jtcc_edu> wrote:
> I am changing the lighting setup over a 29 gallon
> fish/plants aquarium.  I am looking at using one or two
> (depending on the advice I get) 27 watt Spring compact
> fluorescent bulb(s).  The advertisement says that this 27
> watt CF bulb "replaces a 100W incandescent bulb.   My
> question is, in determining healthy wattage for the my 29
> gallon, do I go by the total CF bulb wattage (27W each)
> or the total incandescent (100W each) that is being
> replaced?  I hope I made this inquiry clear.  Thanks.
>
> Bill
>
> - Always Avoid Alliteration -

=====
Erik Olson annouces AGA 2004 Annual Aquascaping Awards
at the annual Convention Nov 12, 13 & 14;
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org  & www.gwapa.org