Re: Hypo for chloramine (was [APD] RE: Aquatic-Plants Digest, Vol 8, Issue 35)

Greg Turner <greg at island_net> wrote:

slime or anything. Also not for chloramine so if they switch one day I'll
be
in trouble. I do have Prime on hand for emergencies where I may be
concerned
about ammonia or nitrites or chloramine. Prime does lock up ammonia yet
bacteria are still able to process it, so it is a very good product.

Sodium Thiosulfate removes chloramines as well. It does require double
dosage to remove and leaves the bi-product of ammonia (not very much
though).

This is dangerously wrong hogwash! Sodium thiosulfate binds chlorine, period. The *only* thing it does to chloramine is release a burst of ammonium/ammonia, when it binds to the chlorine.

Depending on % change, pH and chloramine strength, the amount of ammonia
released is very frequently fatal, instantly. At lower pH and
concentration, stunting and gill damage are more subtle, but they go on,
whether or not you want (or know how) to observe those results.

Fish being used for breeding are often sterilized, at least temporarily,
by the ammonia burst from using hypo on chloramine. I've clearly seen
that one, several times, too.

I can cite many instances of total fishroom wipeouts from using
hypo-based products when chloramine was suddenly introduced. [That
includes at least *two* Betta Grand Champion breeders.]

I'd double dosage anyways so when your water supply does change
it's mind you'll know before it's too late.

Doubling the dose does nothing, whatsoever. A given amount of hypo will bind a given amount of chlorine, whether it is attached to ammonium or not. The danger is that a few parts per billion (yes, that was a "b") of released ammonia are proven to cause growth problems in young fish, and death or weakening resistance to other diseases at only slightly higher levels. [Those are way, way below the threshold of the typical LFS test kit, BTW.]

It is insane to propagate deadly information when there are a host of
perfectly-well-proven, safe products that will shield the fish from
ammonia burns at little more cost or trouble than the wildly-overpriced
hypo "de-chlor" products peddled by the LFS.

I like "Amquel" for its stability, but prefer carbon filtering to
protect the infusoria my baby fish need. "Prime" seems to work well,
when fresh, as does "Ammo-Lock 2." There are a few others that are
probably good, too. Just don't expect your "Novaqua" o/e to protect your
fish when the city changes to chloramines. The old-fashioned products
*will* kill your fish if you do large % changes, your pH is well above
7, etc.

Wright

--
Wright Huntley - Rt. 001 Box K36, Bishop CA 93514 - whuntley at verizon_net
                    760 872-3995

Eschew obfuscation and bloviation!