Re: [APD] Amquel and water top off

I'm no chemist but I know that a key reason for using
chloramines in the water system instead of just chlorine is
that chlorine breaks down easily and quickly into
nondisinfecting form and chloramine doesn't -- it has much
better staying power.

The old rule about not conditioners if less than 10% water
change comes from the days when only chlorine was the key
worry and chlorine leaves quickly.

That's no answer, but if it were me, I'd just add a little
Prime along the way. So long as you keep changing water out
and not jsut add water in to make up for evaporation, the
levels are limited in how high they will build.

Scott H.
--- Rod Gerrymander <rgerrymander at yahoo_com> wrote:
> Everyone,
>
> I'm topping off my tanks using an Aquadoser drip
> system. It is dripping in around 2 gallons a day
> to my 160 gallon system.  In addition to fertilizers
> I am adding 1 ml/gallon of Amquel.
>
> 1) Does the Amquel build up over time or is it used
> up/destroyed?
>
> 2) Do I need Amquel at all?  My tanks should be able
> to handle this amount of ammonia.  I've got a lot of
> photosynthesis going on 24 hours a day.  Would sodium
> thiosulfate be better/safer for this purpose?
>
> 3) Many people report not using anything at all for
> water changes up to 10% (some say higher).  Will
> chloramines build up or will they break down over time
> on their own?  Would this be a better choice?
>
> The system consists of
> 120 gallon main tank, 32w x12 T8's, on 1 PM to 11 PM
> 20 gallon algae tank, 36w x2 CF's on 24 hours
> 20 gallon valisneria tank, 36w x2 CF's on 5 AM to 5 PM
>
> Water movement thru the system is approximately 200
> gallons per hour.
>
> Thanks,
> Rod

=====
AGA 2004 Annual Convention
Designing The Nature Aquarium -- demonstrated by Takashi Amano
Paludarium design  -- Mike Senske
Planted Aquarium Ecology  -- Diana Walstad
Cryptocorynes -- Jan D. Bastmeijer
Field Trip, workshops and more, Nov 12, 13 & 14;
Marriott Crystal Gateway, Arlington, VA, USA
Details & Registration at www.aquatic-gardeners.org  & www.gwapa.org